It is true that Ancient Indians honored all the trees, But some particular trees and plants are considered sacred and have been worshiped over thousands of years. Some of the examples areTulsi ( The sacred plant of Indian Hindu Culture), Peepal Tree (Ficus religiosa) and Audumbar Tree (Ficus racemosa).
PEEPAL TREE USES:
Ayurveda makes an extensive use of the leaves of peepal due to the numerous benefits it provides.
- Its leaves serve as a wonderful laxative as well as tonic for the body.
- It is especially useful for patients suffering from Jaundice. It helps to control the excessive amount of urine released during jaundice.
- The leaves of Peepal are highly effective in treating heart disorders.
- It helps to control the palpitation of heart and thereby combat the cardiac weakness.
- For constipation problem, there can be no better remedy than the consumption of leaves of Peepal.
- The Indian basil peepal works wonders in treating dysentery.
- The leaf of a peepal plant is also considered valuable in the treatment of various kinds of skin disorders.
- Pipal leaves are of great use in getting rid of mumps.
- In case of formation of pus, bandaging the leaves of Peepal will ensure that the growth subsides.
FICUS RACEMOSA USES:
- The roots, bark-skin, fruits, lates and leaves of audumbara have great medicinal value.
- Udumbara is used both, internally as well externally, externally the latex is applied on chronic infected wounds to alleviate edema, pain and to promote the healing.
- The tender leaf buds are applied on the skin, in the form of paste, to improve the complexion.
- The decoction of leaves is salutary in washing the wounds for better cleansing and healing.
- The decoction of its bark-skin is an effective gargle in stomatitis and sore throat.
- Application of latex alleviates the edema in adenitis, parotitis, orchitis, traumatic swelling and toothache.
- Internally, udumbara is used in vast range of maladies.
- The decoction of bark skin is extremely useful in diarrhea, dysentery and ulcerative colitis.
- In children, the latex is given along with sugar to combat diarrhea and dysentery.
- The cold infusion of ripened fruits mixed with sugar, is salutary in Rakta pitta is effectively controlled with the decoction of bark-skin.
- In diabetes, the ripe fruits or bark-skin decoction is beneficial, as it works well as anti-diuretic.
- The decoction of leaves is an effective remedy in glandular swelling, abscess, chronic wounds, cervical adenitis etc.
- In uterine bleeding, abortion, leucorrhea and vaginal bleeding the decoction of its bark-skin is given orally, as well as in a form of basti (enema).
- The latex mixed with sugar is benevolent in sexual debility in males.
- The juice of its fruit is a panacea for hiccup. The powder of the bark-skin works well as an anorexient, hence, beneficial in gyperphagia-bhasmaka.
Thus by associating them with Hindu deities, they have been protected, so that no one would cut them. In that way those two trees are protected.